On April 4, Lost Kansas Communities class explored the rocky pastures of northern Wabaunsee County. They were working with a portion of a township survey from 1880, learning about the terrain and how surveyors represented it, where early property boundaries lay, sites of old springs, orchards, and homesteads. This information will allow students to analyze settler persistence rates.
A useful term for this kind of investigation is ABOVE GROUND ARCHAEOLOGY.
The smaller pieces of stone used between the larger blocks have an origin in early English stonewall construction and are called “hearting.” The builders of Bean School were German stonemasons who also understood how to use hearting to stabilize a stone wall.